End-to-End Virtual Reality Solution Concept (2015)
A virtual reality camera system along with a cross-platform (iOS & Android) mobile VR viewer application, forms an end-to-end VR solution; from capture to viewing.
- 6x SJ4000 action cameras
- 3D printable circular camera mount
- Standard Tripod
- Relatively powerful GPU for image processing (a 20 second 2K resolution clip took ~20 minutes to render with a i7-4790/GTX 750 in the Enterprise Lab at CS)
About the Multi-Camera System
Captures monoscopic video in 360 degrees horizontal and ~170 degrees vertical. Six individual streams are stitched and blended together into a cohesive panoramic video by an algorithm that utilizes feature detection and homographies. 4K Demo Footage (twirlable video on YouTube requires Chrome since Google owns Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7lKqry0ZM
- OpenCV and C++ programming used for determining translations and relative positioning between video streams
- After Effects for rendering out all blended video streams as a large, cohesive rectangular .mp4 video
- Ionic Mobile Application Framework for rapid prototyping of a cross-platform 360 photo/video mobile phone viewer
- OpenSCAD for rapid, parameterized prototyping of a 3D printable VR camera mount
Mobile VR Viewer Application
Mobile Application Description
Exhibit is a hybrid, cross-platform mobile application that explores the new and exciting virtual reality experience of viewing homes, apartments and new properties. With a few swipes, users can navigate an intuitive search feature and instantly find themselves standing in the room they want to see via photosphere or videosphere. Users can look around as if they're actually at the property which is made possible through the sophisticated use of gyroscopic sensors and projective geometry. For sellers, adding or modifying listings happens instantly and easily through a Parse database. From home owners to budding and mature businesses, Exhibit aims to bring the best places, to the best people, in the best way.
To Preview the app
- Install Ionic View on your iOS or Android mobile phone
Login with user "firstname.lastname@example.org" and password "demo"
- Tap Exhibit and download files
- Tap view and find a listing that interests you
Tap the listing and put your phone into a cardboard viewer
- Enjoy your VR experience!
Camera mount printed on a Makerbot Replicator 2 with Red PLA. The mount takes 4 hours to print if things go smoothly! Messed up twice 1/4 of the way in on the Rostock Max V2 as the mount is relatively large for the printer and would begin curling at the edges from non-uniform heating or something.
Virtual reality including the time dimension - synthetic video for virtual reality on a cell phone.
Poster at ICCP, Northwestern U, May 2016